Current PositionsCollections Assistant
The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, Canada's only museum dedicated exclusively to the science of palaeontology and one of the largest of its kind anywhere in the world, seeks a Collection Assistant who will be responsible all aspects of the Museum's collections data coordination.
Job Id: 1041637
The Collections Assistant at the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology will be responsible for all aspects of collections data coordination. Under the direction of the Collections Coordinator and using knowledge of natural history, paleontology, collections management best practices and The Museum System collections database, this person will help maintain the archival records of the collection, including written and digital documentation, of all specimens in the collections of the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology. The Collections Assistant will be responsible for all aspects of accessioning, cataloguing, specimen handling and preservation of the collections. The Collections Assistant will assist RTMP staff and visiting scientists in using collections and support scientific research based on the museum's collection.
- Keeping all documentation, digital and analog, at archival standards. Preserving and protecting the specimens housed in the collections and exhibit halls and keeping up to date all of the associated documentation that makes the specimens scientifically valuable
- Hosting and assisting approximately 50 to 100 visiting scientists and students each year with access to collections
- Arranging and assisting with the documentation, packing and transport of approximately 20 to 50 research loans each year
- Managing all documentation, data and records associated with Alberta's paleontological resources
- Maintaining professional standards for the use and handling of paleontological collections developed by the collections coordinator in alignment with the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, Canadian Society of Vertebrate Paleontology and various other professional Societies
- Four year degree in a related field, and a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience working directly with a collections management database
- Working knowledge of The Museum System (TMS) collections database program and experience working with database management systems
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Diploma in Museum Studies
- Comprehension of the SQL programming language
- Ability to operate a forklift and other warehousing equipmen
How to Apply:
Online applications are preferred. If you apply online, please ensure your cover letter and resume are submitted as one file. Ensure you quote the competition number and save using the naming convention of your first then last name (Joe Smith_competition number). Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
If you are unable to submit an electronic version of your resume, please submit your resume, quoting the Job ID, to Human Resources, Culture and Tourism, 7th Floor Standard Life Centre, 10405 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J4R7. Fax: (780) 422-3142. If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Martin Sasseville, HR Consultant, at email@example.com.
Deadline for application: Sunday, April 30, 2017